Frequently Asked Questions
What sort of dancing can I expect?
The level of dancing will be very good. The average participant will have between five and seven years of experience dancing and studying Argentine tango, and last year about 20 percent of participants were professional Argentine tango instructors. All styles of social Argentine tango are welcome.
Is there a minimum level of experience required to participate?
Yes. Because of the overall high level of dancing and the crowded floors, a certain level of experience and skill in Argentine social tango is required. To participate in this, or any major festival, you should be at a solid intermediate or above level in your dancing. For most people this means about three years of consistent group classes, private classes, and frequent social dancing.
What level of floor craft can I expect?
On any crowded dance floor, such as you will find at festivals, the difference between a delightful night of dancing tango and a very frustrating one is often the level of floor craft and goodwill evident on the dance floor. The Albuquerque Tango Festival distinguished itself last year with its well-mannered, super-friendly dance floor. In fact, the most praised aspect of the festival was the wonderfully level of order and goodwill on the floor.
I hope you will join me this year in setting the bar for a friendly, orderly, floor even higher. If you are unfamiliar with some of the finer points of floor craft, I invite you to read this brief discussion of its components. If you feel that the whole concept and discipline of floor craft cramps your style, that cutting in and out of lines of dance, blindly backing into other dancers, or dancing on a crowded floor in a way that takes up three times as much space as any other dancer, is something you feel entitled to do, I would encourage you to consider other festivals where the emphasis on an orderly floor is not so strong.
Will there be any tango performances?
The strong emphasis of this festival is social dancing, not performance. The only performance will be an instructor group dance lasting two songs during a brief break on Saturday night.
Do I need to pre-register for individual classes?
No. If you purchase a full festival pass, there is no additional registration required for each class. Simply show up for the classes that you wish to take.
What is included in the full festival pass?
All regular milongas (Thursday through the closing milonga on Sunday) and all regular group classes (Friday,Saturday. and Sunday).
What can you tell me about the tango community in Albuquerque?
Tango has been thriving here since the mid-1990s. There are many very experienced dancers and many newer dancers. The most common remark I hear about our tango community is how friendly and welcoming it is.
Important Stuff to Know Before You Register
1. Refundability: Regular-priced passes (all passes except those sold during the 1-day sale on Aug. 6) are fully refundable, no questions asked.
2. Receipt: The receipt issued by PayPal is the only receipt you will receive. You will not receive an additional receipt from the festival. We download our registration list directly from PayPal, so if your transaction was processed by PayPal, rest assured that you are registered.
3. Your Names: If you are purchasing multiple passes, or if your PayPal account is under your business name rather than your actual name, please make sure that we have the correct name or names to associate with each pass. You can emailing me this information when you register.
4. Gender Ratio: We do not turn anyone away based on gender, nor do we offer reduced pricing for one gender over another. Consequently, the gender ratio for this festival mirrors that of the tango community overall, with slightly more women than men. During prior festivals the gender ratio has been about 47% male, 53% female. The leader/follower ratio is closer to equal, as many women also lead. If it is highly important to you that there be absolute gender balance, this is probably not the best festival for you! You might instead consider one of the many wonderful encuentro-style events that are held around the country each year, which are strictly gender-balanced.
5. Who's Coming List: Unless you email me and instruct me otherwise, I will include your name and city in the online "Who's Coming" list. However, I will not post this list until a week or more after the one-day sale.
6. Individual Class and Milonga Passes: A limited number of individual classes and milonga passes will be offered for sale at the event. Pricing is listed below in the pricing chart graphic.